Economics research Topics and Topic Ideas for Your Dissertation
Oct 11, 2021
Economic science's ultimate purpose is to improve people's living situations in their daily lives. Economists investigate how to make the most of limited resources in order to maximize value and profit. Today's economic concerns are mostly centered on issues like opportunity cost, consumption and production, borrowing, saving, investments, professions and employment, trades markets, pricing, and human behavior when it comes to making economic decisions.
Given that economics covers a wide range of concerns in today's society, as well as the abundance of research papers in the literature, many economics students struggle to come up with the best economic research topic for their undergraduate project, master's thesis, or dissertation. Technological innovation has accelerated the pace of transition and globalization, resulting in new areas of economics worth investigating. Our economics specialists have compiled a list of economics research paper ideas that you can use to find the appropriate topic for your paper.
Topics in Microeconomics Research
Microeconomics studies the economic behavior of single, isolated economic units such as individuals, households, businesses, and industries. Micro-economists research factors that influence economic decisions, markets, and key elements such as demand and supply, as well as analyzing markets and determining prices for goods and services that best allocate limited resources. The following are some of the best microeconomics research topics for your thesis or dissertation:
- The effect of income changes on consumer choices
- The effect of labor force participation on the economy and budget – A comparison
- The impact of marital status on the labor force composition: A case of [your country] economy
- The difference in the consumption attitude in [your country] over the last decade – Critical analysis of consumer behavior trends
- The relationship between salary levels and ‘economic convergence’ in [your country]?
- Analyzing salary inequalities in [your country] and the forces behind such inequalities.
- The evolution of consumption in [your country] over the last 10 years: Trends and consumer behavior.
- Dynamics of the Gini index as a reflection of the problem of inequality in income
- Cashless economy: The impact of demonetization on small and medium businesses
- Privatization of Public Enterprises and its implications on economic policy and development
Macroeconomics Research Topics
- The relationship between economic growth and unemployment in [your country]
- Global recession and factors that contribute to it.
- Impact of government expenditure on economic growth in [country]
- The impact of company income tax revenue on the developing economies- A comparative analysis of Kenya, India, and Nigeria
- The relationship between common stock prices and inflation in [your country]
- The relationship between inflation and government spending in [your country] economy.
- The effect of currency devaluation on small and medium firms- A case study of selected multinationals in [your country]
- The relationship between internet connectivity and productivity in the workplace
- The evolution of the stock market in [your country]: Causes and consequences
- Unemployment and regional mobility of labor in [your country]
- A comparison of the United States unemployment to the rest of the world
Research Topics on International Trade
- The relationship between economic growth and international trade
- To what extent does a currency union affect trade: A case of the United States
- What are the gains and losses of international trade for developing countries?
- Foreign direct investment in the United States: Determinants and impact
- The effects of the banana crisis on the Jamaican and British economies
- The impact of Brexit on small and middle businesses in the UK
- The relationship between foreign direct investment and wages- A comparative analysis of USA and China
- The roles of exchange rate and exchange rate regime in the US export
- The importance of international trade in developing countries
- To what extent are the gains of less developed countries from trade liberalization exaggerated?
Environmental economics research paper topics
Economic activities such as production have a significant impact on the environment such as pollution and depletion of natural resources. Environmental economics studies these impacts and other environmental issues. Below are some of the best research paper topics in environmental economics.
- An economic examination of waste disposal programs in the United States
- Man-made environmental disasters: who bears the economic liability?
- The economics of land- a comparative analysis of land sharing and land sparing in the United States
- The impact of waste disposal programs to America’s Environmental Policy: An economic evaluation
- Water management and conservation policies in the United States and the UK- a comparative analysis
- The economic implications of climate policy changes because of different climate change assessment mechanisms
- Investigating the cost of organizational environmental analysis in the United States
- What are the determinants of climate policy formulation in the United States? An economic scrutiny
- The economic perspectives of distribution of natural resources across boundaries
- The impact of technological innovation for clean and green products on the environment
- The impact of work-life balance on social eco-systems: perspectives from the United States
- The relationship between financial subsidies and the generation of eco-friendly products
Research Paper Topics on Behavioral Economics
Behavioral economics examines the psychology behind economic activities and economic decision-making. It examines the limitation of the assumption that individuals are perfectly normal. Good behavioral economics topics cover subjects such as bounded rationality, irrational exuberance, and choice architecture.
- Inducing choice paralysis: how retailers bury customers in an avalanche of options
- The behavioral economics of discounting- A case study of amazon
- Pricing and the decoy effect; how corporations ‘nudge’ consumers to spend more
- Big data and implications for behavioral economics
- A study of how the United States market benefitted from behavioral economics theory
- How has behavioral economics influenced the real-world context? A case of online purchase behavior
- Weight management through behavioral economics: use of incentives
- What motivates consumers? A behavioral economics perspective
- Using behavioral economics to help in reducing substance abuse
- Addressing lifestyle management for diabetes through behavioral analysis- insights from the US healthcare sector
Development Economics research paper topics
- The impact of multinational commodity trading through the development economic perspective
- The impact of globalization on income distribution in emerging economies
- Investigating the relationship between migration and development economics
- Budgeting and decision making by low-income earners in emerging economics
- Investigating the relationship between family planning, labor force, and income fluctuations
- The impact of natural disasters on development in emerging economies
- The impact of population growth on development economics- review of India
- The determinants of high performing institutions in emerging economies
- Comparative economic patterns of villages across Virginia
- Aid and economic growth of developing economies- a review